Sunday, February 24, 2008

How to setup BSNL Broadband

When I applied for my BSNL broadband connection, I said I would do the setup myself and save some money... ;) If you have a little computer knowledge and some interest you can do it, too.

I have set up BSNL Broadband using the D-Link ADSL 2+ GLB-502T Router but it shouldn't be very different for other models. I had a few problems like the ADSL light on my modem not staying steady and also I was not able to access my hotmail and other secure sites till I changed the MTU settings, read on....

Setup the modem as per the instructions in the manual.
First and foremost connect your telephone line to the modem and check that the ADSL LED (light) on the modem gets steady (is constantly lit) after about a minute or so. If it does not and keeps blinking, it means that you have a line problem and you have to get is sorted out first to be able to get BSNL Broadband working. I had the BSNL line coming in from the telephone pole to my telephone instrument and from there to the modem in the next room. I just tried putting the main telephone line into the modem and from the modem to the telephone and hey presto!! I got it working!! And to think that I struggled for a whole day before I discovered that!! Hope you don't have to struggle now like I did.

Once your modem is connected to the PC :
(1) Click on 'Start' button
(2) Click on 'Control Panel'
(3) Double Click on 'Network Connections'
(4) Select “Local Area Connection” and right click on it .
(5) Select Properties
(6) Select TCP/IP in that box
(7) Click on "properties "
Enter the details as follows :
Set IP Address as 192.168.1.x where x is any number from say, 1 to 100
Subnet Mask As 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway As 192.168.1.1
The following DNS nos. specific for me in Goa, you may ask BSNL for the DNS numbers specific to your region.
Preferred DNS : 218.248.240.246
Alternate DNS : 218.248.240.135
Click on "OK" button.
Click on "OK" button again.
(8) Restart the computer.
(9) Open your browser (Internet Explorer or other) and go to http://192.168.1.1/
Enter details as follows :
USERNAME: admin
PASSWORD: admin
(10) Click on "SETUP" on the menu at the top.
(11) Click on "New Connection" on the left.
Now fill in the details as follows :
Name - BSNL
Type - PPPOE
Username : Type what username BSNL has given you.
Password: Type what password BSNL has given you.
Against MTU : feed 1452 to replace the default 1492.
If this is not modified, secure sites like hotmail will not work.
Against VCI : Feed 35.
Leave all others at default values. Then click on "Apply" at the bottom of the screen, you may need to scroll down if it is not visible.
(12) Then click on "TOOLS" on the Menu at the top.
Click on “System Commands” on the left.
Click “Save all”
Click on "Restart".
(13) If you open your browser, you should be on-line....
Good luck and happy surfing!!! Great is the power of broadband!! You can write back if you have any problems and I'll try to help you solve them.

16 comments:

sheetal said...

very useful suggestions...i m sheetal gupta..in my modem also the dsnl link light was blinking(coming and going) till i found your suggestions..i removed the router and fixed the telephone line directly to the modem...it's working fine now..hopefully it should work so..thanks anyway..

Roshan Ekka said...

hello friend can you plz help me.
I have BSNL DATAONE Broadband Connection in my shop i want to use the same internet connection in my home. i have username and password. I have a bsnl landline. how can i setup the connection so that i can use it. which modem do i need. plz help me.

shivkumarspace said...

thanks a lot!

Ranjister said...

hi, After reading your post, I guess you will be able to help me. Just like you, I also asked bsnl people that i will set up my broadband myself, Now I am in a small fix. I have a wireless router,(zyxel p660hw,which I was using with my airtell broadband previously)
I made the modifications in router config as you explained,DSL light,is lit up and steady. But there is an internet LED next to it, that is not glowing. And I am not getting connected to internet. the tcp/ip settings are also changed as required. What might be the problem. Please help!! Thanks in advance

rajendran said...

I have D-Link ADSL 2+ GLB-502T Router and BSNL Broad band connection. The router is setup already and all the LEDs are steady.
But i could not connect my PC to internet.
I can access the Router from my computer. The OS is Xp Sp-2
Rajen

General Updates said...

Hi, Very Useful..
Thank You!!

Zanil Hyder said...

This info is good but need some of it to be dynamically updated, since that is not possible.

Inform the users the following.

ip address to assigned as 192.168.1.3 the last set can be anything between 3 and 35
while subnet as
255.255.255.0
and gateway as 192.168.1.1 if they are using router.

But the DNS and Alternate dns can vary and they keep varying as there are several

some of them are
Primary as 218.248.255.145
Secondary 218.248.255.176

another would be
Primary as 8.8.8.8
Secondary 8.8.4.4

Selvi said...

Hi,
ur post is helpful.
have a problem in configuring bsnl connection.
it is not accepting the initial username , password ie; admin , admin.
previously we used airtel connection in the system.
modem am using now is : beetel adsl modem.
If u can , plz help me.
thanks

Unknown said...

Excellent Suggestions, Labrador really appreciate you useful suggestion.

Professional Web Designer NJ

Anonymous said...

22

sam said...

THANX DUDE....

uttam said...

local area connection is not showing.
but showing broadband connection..

Laryssa said...

I don't know if you still check this place... I followed your instructions upto the point where you put 35 for VCI. Then when click apply, an alert pops up saing vpi/vci already in use, please input another vpi/vci. I saw that the PVC0 tab has the vpi as 0 and vci as 35. If I change that and make my new connection 35, it shows as connected in the connection status in the status menu but doesn't connect me to the internet

Unknown said...

hi,
Its Arif,
I have order BSNL WIMAX broadband for my laptop,
So, can you tell me how to connect it in my laptop.

Anmol Singh said...

hello sir i am from mathura please tell me how BSNL Broadband New Connection apply.

Unknown said...

Automatically connect to the Internet that disables or remove the software. The software that can interfere with your connection is computer viruses, adware, spyware or browser hackers. There are thousands of software programs. Use virus scanning software for virus scan and removal and use the adware removal software for adware, spyware and browser hijackers.
If you have completed all the steps of this document and are still unable to connect to the Internet using Cable or DSS, call the ISP support phone number for assistance. Make sure everything you already have..... well, anyway I found a site named revglue(.)com/blog-detail/28-create-free-broadband-tv-phone-comparison-website-with-revembed . I heard this site have a lot of comparisons but I am confused about that so if any have any idea then please guide me. thanks in advance.